Photograph, Exchange Street swing bridge, Rochester, NY
A view of the original swing bridge that crossed the Erie Canal at Exchange Street in downtown Rochester, NY. This bridge operated from the 1870s until 1898, when it was replaced with a more modern lift bridge. The Alling & Cory building stands on the southeast corner. It was built in 1884 and used by the wholesale paper distributor until 1907. To the right is Snow’s Block, housing the Snow Wire Works. A street car and other horse-drawn vehicles are crossing the bridge.
Credit: Courtesy of the Rochester Public Library Local History & Genealogy Division.
Click here to access the full record.