Engraving, Rochester House hotel on the Erie Canal
The Rochester House was a hotel located on the south side of the Erie Canal at Exchange Street, in downtown Rochester, NY. This grand structure was built chiefly of stone and opened around 1827. The hotel, packet boats, and stage coach depicted in this scene represent some of the travel-related businesses that sprung up after the statewide opening of the canal in 1825.
Credit: Courtesy of the Rochester Public Library Local History & Genealogy Division.
Click here to access the full record.